Centre Gives Exceeds $852,000 in First 12 Hours
During the first 12 hours of Centre Gives, Centre County residents demonstrated their love of place by donating more than $643,000 to their favorite nonprofits. Combined with the $200,000 stretch pool and power hour prizes, the current community investment tops $852,000.
Launched by Centre Foundation in 2012, Centre Gives is a 36-hour online giving event that began on Tuesday, May 8 at 8 a.m.
“We are thrilled to see the incredible response of our community year after year,” said Molly Kunkel, Executive Director at Centre Foundation. “The energy and excitement throughout Centre County today was truly something special.”
“The power hour prizes are awarded based on number of unique donors, not total amount raised,” stated Kunkel. “This helps level the playing field. Each power hour comes with a pair of prizes, $500 for a large organization and $500 for a small organization.”
Power hour prize winners so far include:
- Kick-Off Prize (Large) – Schlow Centre Region Library
- Frost & Conn Kick-Off Prize (Small) – TriYoga of Central Pennsylvania
- The Torron Group Snack Attack Prize (Large) – Strawberry Fields, Inc.
- Snack Attack Prize (Small) – State College Area Roller Derby
- Nestlerode & Loy Invesment Advisors High Noon Prize (Large) – Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts
- Nestlerode & Loy Invesment Advisors High Noon Prize (Small) – Spring Creek Chapter of Trout Unlimited
- Good Samaritan Tea Time Prize (Large) – Centre Volunteers in Medicine
- Good Samaritan Tea Time Prize (Small) – State College Area Roller Derby
- Alive at Five Prize (Large) – State College Food Bank
- Alive at Five Prize (Small) – State College Area Roller Derby
- M&T Bank Dinner Time Prize (Large) – Centre County PAWS
- M&T Bank Dinner Time Prize (Small) – Penns Valley Conservation Association
- Morgan Stanley Party Time Prize (Large) – Centre County PAWS
- Party Time Prize (Small) – Performing Arts School of Central Pennsylvania
In addition to power hour prizes, pre-event prizes have also been awarded. Two organizations, one large and one small, each received $500 for their participation in the March Success Series Trainings. Additionally, four more organizations won $250 each for their participation in pre-event Facebook challenges.
Pre-event prize winners included:
- Success Series Prize (Large) – Centre County PAWS
- Success Series Prize (Small) – State College Area Roller Derby
- Facebook Challenge #1 – The State Theatre, Inc.
- Facebook Challenge #2 – Saint Joseph’s Catholic Academy
- Facebook Challenge #3 – State College Community Land Trust
- Facebook Challenge #4 – Centre County PAWS
Since Centre Gives began in 2012, over $5.4 million has been invested in the local nonprofit network, supporting organizations working in the areas of arts, animals, education, environment, and health and social services.
Centre Gives 2018 is sponsored by many forward-thinking members of the community, including the Hamer Foundation, Nestlerode and Loy Investment Advisors, First National Bank, M&T Bank, Frost & Conn, The Mazza Law Group, Baker Tilly, Tom & Sara Songer of The Torron Group, Morgan Stanley, Balfurd Dry Cleaners, and an anonymous donor.
To see why this event was voted “Best Fundraising Event” for three consecutive years, follow the fun on social media using #CentreGives. Donate to your favorite nonprofit at CentreGives.orgbefore the fun ends on Wednesday, May 10 at 8 p.m.